Friday, November 12, 2010

What Can Be Done?

Anyone who knows me would agree that I have the "gift of gab".  I am known to be able to talk nonstop.  So, it is surprising to people that I have a hard time writing a blog.  What if I ramble?  Do I have anything worth sharing to people that I don't even know?  Then I think about how we are connected.  A horrible birth defect known as Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH). And when I read about another baby lost to CDH, I think "how can I not write". 

I know you have probably all read and heard the statistics about CDH.  Most of you have gone through a CDH experience in your life with either your child, grandchild or yourself having CDH.   Right now I feel I need to state those facts again. One in every 2,500 births has CDH.  Only about 50% of those babies survive.  As I was told in the hospital at the birth of my son "The only thing CDH babies have in common is that they have nothing in common".  One baby born with very little lung tissue may survive while another born with a lot may not.

So, what can be done to help other babies and families from going through this?  We need to raise awareness.  We need to help raise funds for research as to why this happens and what can be done about it.  We need to help families that have received the devastating news about their unborn child.  We need to help families that are currently in the hospital.  You may be thinking, sounds great, Brenda, but I'm only one person.  What can I do to help?  Yes, you are one person, but together we can make a large and mighty group.

Right now the Pepsi Refresh voting is taking place.  By taking just a few minutes of your day to click on a few buttons, you can help CHERUBS and a few other children's charities in this contest.  Here's the link: 
http://voteforkids.blogspot.com.  You can make more people aware of this contest by posting the link on your Facebook page, your own personal blog (if you have one) or just e-mailing people in your address book.

Maybe you would like to volunteer.  CHERUBS has many great volunteer opportunities available.  Or maybe you have an idea that you would like to share.  Please let me know.  Together we can work to find a cure so no other families will have to hear the words "Your baby has a congenital diaphragmatic hernia".

No comments:

Post a Comment