Saturday, November 13, 2010

Snow? Already?

At 5:30AM today, a Saturday, my CHERUB woke up complaining about a funny noise he heard on his window.  Dad told him to look outside because that funny noise was the snow that was starting to accumulate.  Well, to a 7 year old, it doesn't matter what time of the day it is, if there is snow he wants to be out in it.  He was very patient and waited until the rest of us were up, dressed and done with breakfast before heading outside to play.

Being able to send your child outside to play in the snow should be normal.  However, I've come to realize that letting my little guy play outside in certain weather can lead to respiratory issues.  It usually only lasts for a few days, but it happens just the same.  So do I not let him go out or just deal with the repercussions of his wanting to be like his big sister? 

Once again I am faced with the fact that my son is not like the majority of 7 year olds.  Yes, he likes cartoons, monster trucks, playing at the park, etc.  But he can't handle being out in the cold for long.  He wears a brace due to scoliosis which makes it difficult for him to maneuver.  He becomes easily winded when he runs. 

The best that I can do is to teach him to accept himself for who he is.  He is unable to play in sports, but he is doing a great job of learning to play the piano.  His smile is contagious.  He has an unbelievable sense of humor.  He is excelling academically.  So he may be a book worm instead of a jock, but that's just fine.  I thank God every day for this Blessing we've been given.

I can also do whatever is possible to raise awareness for CHERUBS and CDH.  I can vote in different contests the like Pepsi Refresh, hold fundraisers and buy t-shirts.  I can write letters and messages of Facebook.  All of this is not only to raise awareness, but to raise money to fund research so that other parents won't have to face what so many of us have already face with this birth defect.  Won't you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment