Thursday, November 18, 2010

CDH Awareness

Today I wore my new CDH shirt for the very first time.  It is the one with the CDH in the middle of the wings.  I love the design.  I was hoping that someone would ask me about it so I could talk about CDH & CHERUBS a little bit.  Unfortunately, it didn't happen.  That won't stop me from wearing the shirt though.  My daughter said she would like one also, so maybe I'll buy one for her for Christmas.  Then maybe someone will ask her about it at school.  You can never be too young to start raising awareness.

All of this started to get me thinking about how else I could raise awareness.  I write about it on Facebook.  I post the Pepsi Refresh voting on Facebook too.  I talk about  CDH & CHERUBS when I'm volunteering at my son's school. My daughter wrote about it in a paper for school in the fifth grade.  My son is even thinking about using CDH as part of his science fair in the future.

Then I started to think about contacting the local paper.  I'm thinking about the little local paper that comes out once a week.  But what if they aren't interested in hearing just our story?  Would they believe the statistics I will give them?  Would they believe that if the population of Farmington MN (17,740 as of 2008) were all babies, slightly over 7 of them would have this birth defect?  Would they care?

I will be contacting them.  I also believe there is power in numbers.  If there is another CDH family interested in telling their story to the local paper, why not contact me?  Please send me an e-mail at minnesota@cherubs-cdh.org.  Maybe together we can get our story heard.

I can't sign off without putting a plug in for the Vote for Kids Project.  Please remember to vote every day.  Remember, there is power in numbers

http://voteforkids.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment